Skip to main content

Withdrawal symptoms

Day 63 of lockdown isolation. Withdrawal symptoms are truly kicking in. I find myself tucking into unecessary treats more then often, reading anything I can find, even the back of a crisp packet, all to kick the habit...the habit of spending. I keep looking at beautiful things on Ebay, Depop, facebook market but I simply can not justify spending money right now. Hence the indulging on snacks. Despite the things I'm looking at are of course second hand treasures and therefore sticking to my 'year of nothing new', I still can't justify spending the money. I've always been good with money. In the sense of never spending any more than I know I have. But when it comes to saving money, I am a bit slower at that. Once money is in my savings however, I never touch it. It's just getting it in there to start with. I am much better now of course. When you give yourself goals and aims, it helps a lot.

I guess what started my 'Year of nothing new' began when close to one Christmas, I was back at college, the age of 24 turning 25. I was paying my own way, to start a new path in the career I am in now. I exclaimed to my family that christmas presents this year would be small and minimal.
Whilst studying, I had an 8 hour a week contract job in a retail shop helping to keep me going whilst studying full time. So, yes, presents were definitely minimal. This is when I started buying presents from the carboot, charity shops or even making presents and I am proud to say I have done it ever since. I would never buy anything clearly over worn, in damaged packaging or horrendously marked. As a gift, it still needs to be in great condition and like new. I tend to find things still with tags on or the sticker labels. Still in unopened packaging or wrapping. Sometimes I just do the 'smell test'. You know what I'm talking about, the smell of newness from a high street shop. That smell.

I have found some great things. For example, a Jaeger cotton, blue and white stripe top with three quarter sleeves that had a width of emerald green at the end of the sleeves. Perfect for my mum, she loves a striped top. I found this in a charity shop, still with the plastic tag thingy attached from the original label all for £3! Bargain! I found my sister a real Ugg satchel bag in black (a style that she pretty much owns) off Ebay for just £20, It arrived in the original box, which was damaged but I claimed it got squashed in my wardrobe amongst all the other Christmas presents that I hid. So, there are many great things you can buy second hand, which will still be hugely appreciated when received. They would never know really. One Christmas I put together a little hamper of gardening bits for my dad. Men can be really hard to buy for, you can only get them so many pairs of socks and CD's before it gets a bit boring. I found a lovely wicker basket at the local carboot, some terracotta pots, gardening tools, a kilner jar with gardening string inside. These are things so easily found at carboots. Often still in packaging due to being unwanted gifts they themselves received. This is why I really think about the person I'm buying for and won't just walk into tkmaxx, debenhams or boots and buy those gift sets you later see in the charity shops.

This is where present buying becomes senseless. Don't just buy people things BECAUSE its Christmas, or Valentinse, or their birthday. Buy because you've seen something that you know they would really like. It shows thought as really gone into it. This is why when I am out and about (or rather was out and about) If I saw something my mum would like, my partner would like etc... I would snatch it up and stash it away somewhere (my present hiding place - we all have one, mine just isn't as good as Monica's from 'Friends') to later give it to that person for what event comes first, Christmas or their birthday. I went through my box the other day and luckily have enough things for my immediate family for this years Christmas presents !

I am clearly having withdrawal symptoms from charity shopping and carboot-ing due to the fact my dreams are now consisting of me browsing through the rails and searching through the bric-a-brac for little bargain finds. I dreamt the other night that shops in my local high street had reopened and were allowing one in one out. My mum went into the coffee shop to get our takeaway ice coffees and I went into a charity shop for a little browse. A man and his young child came in to the shop too leaving myself and the shop assistant amazed!...... I think I need to get out for a walk or something (insert head in hands emoji here). It doesn't help that I keep seeing on social media some people have been passing neighbours houses who have left boxes of goodies for people to help themselves too - jealous! I keep going into my attic and rummaging through the bags of things I have decluttered from rooms of the house and clothes I have removed from my wardrobe - all ready to do a carboot this summer (was the plan anyway) as a form of retail therapy. I have actually come across stuff that I have falling in love with again and wondered why I tossed it out in the first place. This is a great way to declutter and find out what you really wanted to get rid of and what you secretly want to keep.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Returning to my Keys

My fellow followers, readers, friends. I have been so unorganised and lacked the motivation to write that I have left an open wound, a gap, not just to my blog but to myself. So much has happened and changed and so many bargains have been found since New Years, there is just simply, too much to tell. After Christmas and New Years, still working at Reiss, the team entered into a competition through the company to put forward our idea, of how we convey passion, focus drive and our thoughts of how we perseve their slogan 'I am Reiss'. At first it was a subtle joke of making a music video and writing our own rap which soon turned into creating a music video to Pharell Williams 'Happy' where we just danced on the shop floor but also included the full Reiss service to a customer (who also joined in on the dancing) The idea we all had was the scene in 500 days of summer, where Joseph Gordon-Levitt dances through the city and more and more of the public join in. Our minds were

The Hepburn of all.

Having mentioned the LBD (the little black dress) last post, I began to think about it probably a little too much. Soon after, I started to rummage through my wardrobe-the one that looks sneezed on, to find my little numbers. I didn't realise how many I actually had. Four of my black dresses are not little but long and the other six are lovely little dresses all with a unique style and some with a bit of glitz. I decided to have my own little photo shoot like you see in the glamour magazines' and may have got a bit carried away. First in line of my LBD's is the one I previously mentioned, bought for £5 with short sleeves and a low back. A great example of a simple yet effective black dress. Second, is one of my favourites. I wore this dress on my 21st birthday in New York. I had previously known I was being taken to New York's most prestigious night club (The Box), so I knew I had to wear something glamorous. I searched high and low for something special but unfortunate

Animal Ora

After a collection of bargain buys have been found and the wardrobe is over flowing with wonderful items, outfits can be thrown together and fashion can be made up! Although I wouldn't say that I am particular wacky or out standing with my fashion, I like to be simple yet effective. However, I do like to play with patterns and find new shapes for my body. Here I am wearing some clothes given to me by friends. Also another great way to get yourself some bargains, instead of going shopping and spending lots of money, why not call your girlies and arrange for a night in with a bottle, or two, some pizza and have a night of swapping clothes you no longer wear. This skirt is great, it's a lovely burgundy colour which will look great with just a t-shirt and plimpsoles for a more casual look, however I have gone for the evening look and matched the skirt with a lovely leopard print leotard. I just need to find a little black or gold bolero to wear with this outfit to complete the loo